eShapeoko - buildlog stepper shield and stepper drivers

I've not had much chance to tinker with my eShapeoko recently for one reason or another. I have run into a bit of an issue getting my stepper drivers working, I'll post my notes here in the hope saving time for anyone else with the same problems.

Electronics set up:
Arduino Uno
Build log stepper shield rev3
Pololu stepper driver DRV8825

One of the first an probably most important things to note is that the DRV8825 has a pinout that is nearly identical to those of the A4988 driver carriers. However, the potentiometer is in a different place. As the buildlog stepper shield uses the position of the potentiometer to ensure correct orientation you will put them in the wrong way around if you follow the instructions. Obviously you aren't going to plug your shiny new driver boards in back-to-front on my say so, so use a meter to see which pins connect to the motor coils.
There is also a difference as to how the fault reset and sleep lines are treated but as I've probably cooked my driver boards finding out about the potentiometer it may be a while before I look at these.

Edit: After testing the driver boards they all seem okay! It could be that as the board isn't on unless reset and sleep are both held high it was protected from my error. 


Comments

Popular Posts